The STCW-95 (Standards of training and certification of watchkeepers ’95) short course certificates are required by anyone seeking employment in New Zealand’s merchant navy or super yacht industry. Basic as well as more advanced courses are available.
For more detailed information about the STCW-95 short courses, please contact an approved training provider.
Maritime New Zealand’s approved training providers
Please note the following:
- the proficiency in survival craft (excluding fast rescue boats) and advanced fire fighting short-course certificates must be less than five years old for issue of a new certificate of competency
- the certificate of medical fitness lasts for two years. A current certificate must be held at all times while working on a ship.
STCW-95 basic training short course certificate
The STCW-95 (basic training) short course certificate covers the following four areas:
- fire prevention and fire-fighting (basic fire-fighting)
- personal safety and social responsibilities
- personal survival techniques
- elementary first aid.
STCW-95 endorsement to a New Zealand offshore master
As well as the sea service requirements outlined in Maritime Rule Part 32.13, candidates wanting this endorsement must provide evidence of holding the following:
- a medical first aid certificate
- an advanced fire-fighting certificate (the basic fire-fighting certificate is a pre-requisite for this certificate)
- a survival craft and rescue boats certificate – other than the fast rescue boats certificate (PISC)
- a current certificate of medical fitness
- watch keeping service on non fishing vessels.
Candidates for all foreign-going certificates must provide evidence of holding the following STCW-95 short course certificates, before their foreign-going certificate can be issued:
- an advanced fire-fighting certificate
- proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats certificate
- a medical first aid certificate (or, for masters and mates foreign going: medical care aboard ship certificate)
- a current certificate of medical fitness.