Replacement certificates and endorsements

Read about how to replace your original your certificate of competency, certificate of proficiency or endorsement if it has been lost.

On this page:

To be able to work on vessels using the privileges of your certificate of competency, certificate of proficiency or endorsement, you must have your original certificate with you or have it readily available on board. If the original has been lost or destroyed, Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) can issue a replacement certificate or endorsement.

Note: You must make a statutory declaration before an authorised person (see below) about how and where your certificate or endorsement was lost or destroyed. If your original certificate is found after a replacement has been issued, you must return the original to MNZ for cancellation.

How to apply

You can apply for a replacement certificate or endorsement by sending the following documents to Seafarer Certification at MNZ:

Seafarer certificate application form[PDF: 166Kb, 11 pages]

Payment required

The fee for each replacement certificate includes goods and services tax (GST).

Certification fees and charges

You can either include a cheque with your application or indicate one of the following payment methods on the application form:

  • online using a credit card or debit card
  • by internet banking or bank deposit.

(If you are not paying by cheque, we will send you the payment reference details when we receive your application.)

How to pay

Further information

Certificates issued under Part 32 or legacy certificates

If your certificate(s) or endorsement(s) were issued under Maritime Rule Part 32 before the introduction of SeaCert on 1 April 2014, you may transition to the equivalent new certificate(s) or endorsement(s).

Transition – moving from old to new certificates

If your certificate was issued under previous legislation (a legacy certificate), MNZ may not be able to issue a replacement because these certificates are no longer available. In these cases, we may issue a statement to confirm that you hold the certificate, as recorded in New Zealand’s register of certificates and endorsements.

Ancillary certificates of proficiency

If you have lost an ancillary certificate of proficiency (such as advanced fire fighting), you need to contact the training provider that issued the certificate. These certificates cannot be replaced by MNZ.

Who can authorise a statutory declaration?

A statutory declaration can be witnessed by a lawyer, notary public, justice of the peace or court official. (A notary public is a public servant appointed by the government to witness the signing of important documents and administer oaths.) These officials are usually listed in your local phone directory.

A list of people who can witness statutory declarations in New Zealand can be found on the legislation page of the Parliamentary Counsel Office. Some police officers may also witness statutory declarations, but you should check first whether your local station has someone available to do this.

Refer to the Yellow Pages for current listings of justices of the peace, notaries public and lawyers.