Background to SeaCert
SeaCert is the seafarer certification framework for Maritime New Zealand’s national and international certificates of competency and proficiency and endorsements.
For basic information about SeaCert, read the brochure below:
Guidelines are also available with information about:
- seafarer certificates and endorsements
- transition from old certificates to new
- renewal of seafarer certificates
- training and prior learning
- recognition of foreign certificates.
Other guidelines cover the requirements for ancillary certificates, sea service, medical and eyesight tests, watchkeeping, minimum safe crewing, fees and progression to higher-level certificates.
The SeaCert framework
You can refer to the framework document for a condensed guide to SeaCert, including details of where seafarers can operate in local and international waters: