Code of practice for health and safety in port operations
It also covers the wellbeing of employees and all other persons engaged in, or in the vicinity of, port operations.
This code of practice includes these topics:
- making work a safe place eg how to safely access a ship’s hold, cargo deck or crane
- using machinery safely
- using lifting machinery, appliances and loose gear
- providing facilities for staff, eg drinking water
- an employee’s own health and safety responsibilities
- hazard management
- emergency plans and first aid preparedness
This code does not include health and safety matters relating to the safety of a ship itself or a ship’s own equipment, eg cargo loading and unloading equipment.
New Health and Safety at Work Act
With the new Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) 2015 coming into force, it’s important to stay abreast of how new requirements impact maritime operations.
at a Glance
This brochure will help you understand your obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) 2015.
[PDF: 2.02Mb, 8 pages]