On this page:
Castle Point lighthouse is situated on the Wairarapa Coast, about 70 kilometres east of Masterton. Close to the Castle Point Township, it was known as the “holiday light”.
The Castle Point light was one of the last manned lights to be established in New Zealand.
|Location:||latitude 40°54’ south, longitude 176°14’ east|
|Elevation:||52 metres above sea level|
|Construction:||cast iron tower|
|Tower height:||23 metres|
|Light configuration:||2nd order Fresnel lens, illuminated by a 1000 watt incandescent bulb|
|Light flash character:||white light flashing 3 times every 30 seconds|
|Power source:||mains electricity|
|Range:||26 nautical miles (48 kilometres)|
|Date light first lit:||1913|
Getting to Castle Point
The lighthouse is accessible to the public. It can be reached on foot from the Castle Point township.
There is no public access to enter this lighthouse
Castle Point is a popular daytrip from Wellington.