People we work with
We seek to work constructively with all parties including those we regulate, to make sure our work is relevant, credible and effective in achieving outcomes.
New Zealand Safer Boating Forum
Forum members are local government, central government and non-government organisations that are involved in pleasure boat safety.
We lead this Forum and work with Forum members to develop and implement a national pleasure boat safety strategy. A combination of education and legislation is used by the Forum to promote recreational boating safety in New Zealand.
New Zealand Maritime Forum
The New Zealand Maritime Forum was set up to provide a channel through which the whole of the maritime industry can engage collectively with us and other government agencies.
Forum members include: International Container Lines Committee, NZ Marine Industry Association, Seafood New Zealand, Fullers, New Zealand Shipping Federation, Tourism Industry Association New Zealand, Port Taranaki, Marine Transport Association and the New Zealand Maritime School.
Oil Pollution Advisory Committee (OPAC)
The Maritime Transport Act 1994 establishes the authority, functions and membership of this Committee.
This statutory body is made up of representatives from regional councils, port companies, shipping, the fishing and oil industries and other government agencies.
Committee members are appointed by the Minister of Transport and their role is to advise us on:
- the New Zealand Marine Oil Spill Response Strategy
- fixing and levying of the oil pollution levies
- use of the Oil Pollution Fund
- other pollution response issues.
Our collaboration with other agencies reflects the breadth of our interests across transport, health and safety, oil and gas, local government, search and rescue, security and international domains.
Our partners include:
- Ministry of Transport
- New Zealand Transport Agency
- Civil Aviation Authority
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Environmental Protection Authority
- Regional councils
- New Zealand SAR Secretariat
- New Zealand Police
- Surf Life Saving New Zealand
- Fire and Emergency NZ
- New Zealand Defence Force
- Amateur Radio Emergency Communications
- US Coast Guard
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority
- Asia-Pacific Heads of Maritime Safety Agencies Forum
- International Maritime Organization
- New Zealand intelligence agencies
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade