Transitioning into SeaCert

Find out about transitioning (moving) your old tickets into the new Seafarer Certification (SeaCert) system.

Ring-fenced certificates that are optional to transition

If you have one of the below certificates, you have the choice to transition it, but it is not compulsory. Certificates below that have been ring-fenced will remain valid for life. If you do want to transition your certificate, you will need to do this by 30 June 2020.

  • Chief Tug Engineer
  • Commercial Launch Master (CLM)
  • Engineer Local Motor Ship
  • Engineer Local Ship
  • Engineer Restricted Limits Motor Ship
  • First Class Coastal Motor Engineer
  • First Class Diesel Trawler Engineer
  • Inshore Fishing Skipper
  • Inshore Launchmaster (ILM)
  • Local Launch Operator (LLO)
  • Local Launchman’s Licence
  • Marine Engine Watchkeeper
  • Master of a Foreign Going Fishing Boat
  • Master of a Restricted Limit Launch
  • Master River Ship
  • Master River Ship (holding an engineering qualification)
  • Master Small Home Trade Ship
  • Mate Home Trade
  • Mate of Deep Sea Fishing Boat
  • NZ Coastal Master
  • NZ Offshore Master (NZOM)
  • NZ Offshore Watchkeeper (NZOW)
  • NZ Offshore Watchkeeper (NZOW) and Inshore Launchmaster (ILM)
  • Powered Vessels other than Steam (PVOS)
  • Qualified Fishing Deck Hand
  • River Engineer
  • Second Class Coastal Motor Engineer
  • Second Class Diesel Trawler Engineer
  • Skipper of a Coastal Fishing Boat
  • Skipper of a Deep Sea Fishing Boat
  • Third Class Engineer
  • Third Class Steam Engineer
  • Third Class Steam and Motor Engineer

The guideline below gives further details on transitioning optional ring-fenced certificates.

Transitioning guideline[PDF: 241kB, 15 pages]

Contact us for more help

If you have any questions about transitioning, please contact our Personnel Certification team.


New Zealand (toll free):
0508 669 734

Call us now

Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).