Maritime Operator Safety System (MOSS)
COVID-19 response information
The rest of New Zealand is at Alert Level 1.
Vessel surveys and inspections
We have alternate options to meet requirements for vessels in MOSS that are due for a survey or inspection before 30 June 2020.
See if this applies to your vessel
If your vessel is in MOSS and requires one of the following surveys or inspections before 30 June 2020, download these guidelines to find out how this will apply:
- Out-of-water survey
- a Certificate of Survey (CoS)
- load line surveys
- IOPP annual/intermediate surveys
- annual thorough examinations of lifting appliances (including cargo or vehicle lifts and vehicle ramps) and loose cargo gear
- MLC intermediate inspections
Processing your applications
Although our staff are now working from home, we have made changes so we can continue to provide services for you.
Read about the changes
Due to the current situation, we recommend that you only send your applications and documents to us electronically by email:
- We no longer require original documents from you, only electronic copies.
- Documents do not need to be certified or countersigned (e.g supporting documents for fit and proper person purposes).
- If you are renewing a certificate, we do not need the original expiring certificate.
When providing us with electronic copies of documents, please make sure the scanned copies are legible and of a good quality.
If you are unable to provide your application documents to us electronically, we recommend you contact us so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Find out how to contact us
The best way of contacting us is by email
We are monitoring our email and will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.
Please use the following email addresses:
email@example.com for vessel related safety and certification
firstname.lastname@example.org for all exemptions
email@example.com for all other general enquiries
Alternatively you can use our online enquiry form.
Contact us online
If you don't have email
We are still answering the phones but there may be a delay in our response times.
New Zealand (toll free): 0508 22 55 22
Calling from outside New Zealand: +64 4 473 0111
Contact a Maritime Officer for help with your operational and health and safety requirements.