Renewal of MEC 6
Existing holders of the MEC 6 certificate of competency who can show they have worked as a second engineer on fishing vessels up to 3000kW in the unlimited area will be able to apply to have their certificate endorsed to continue to exercise this privilege. This only applies to seafarers who held a MEC 6 certificate prior to 1 April 2014.
When you apply to renew your MEC6 certificate you should, in addition to meeting the requirements to renew the certificate:
- indicate that you wish to have the certificate extended to second engineer privileges on fishing vessels with main propulsion power under 3000kW in the unlimited area
- provide evidence of sea service as a second engineer on fishing vessels with main propulsion systems between 750kW and 3000 kW for at least:
- six months in the 10 years immediately before you apply or
- three months in the 12 months immediately before you apply
- provide a written testimonial from the relevant shipping company that confirms you have performed these duties as second engineer satisfactorily and safely (without incident).