Applying for a Pilotage Exemption Certificate (PEC)
Before sending any documentation through to Maritime New Zealand (MNZ), you will be required to undertake training in accordance with an Approved PEC Training Programme and pass a practical, written and oral PEC examination. Please contact the local Harbourmaster for details.
Once you have successfully completed the above, the Harbourmaster will send a letter confirming this to MNZ.
To apply for a PEC with MNZ you need to complete the PEC - Application Form and send it in to MNZ with all the documentation as listed on the last page of the application form.
Courier your complete application, including all necessary documents to:
Seafarer Certification Maritime New Zealand 1 Grey Street Wellington 6011 New Zealand
All applicants must submit the following:
- Maritime New Zealand Pilotage Exemption Certificate (PEC) - Application form.
- Fit and Proper Person form including Consent to Disclosure form. The Consent to Disclosure form will be sent to New Zealand Police Vetting Service for processing. Applicants should note NZ Police can take up to 20 working days to process the request.
- Copy of current Certificate of Medical Fitness (Category A or B only) from an MNZ approved medical practitioner
- 2 passport size and style photos of head and shoulders (35mm wide x 45mm length) inside a sealed envelope and attached to the top of this page. Photos must be less than 12 months old and in colour.
New PEC (first issue for a pilotage area)
- Certified copy of birth certificate or passport
- Letter from harbourmaster(s) confirming that the applicant has successfully completed an approved structured training programme and has met the required standards (refer rule 90.61(1)(d))
Additional area(s) or vessel(s) to PEC
- Original master’s pilotage exemption certificate(s) or letter(s) issued under section 40AA of the Maritime Transport Act 1994
- To add a new pilotage area(s) for a vessel already endorsed on a PEC:
- Letter from harbourmaster(s) confirming that the applicant has successfully completed an approved structured training programme for the new area and the named vessel and has met the required standards (refer rule 90.68(2)(b))
- To add a new vessel for a pilotage area(s) already endorsed on a PEC:
- Letter from harbourmaster(s) confirming that the currency requirements of rule 90.66 have been met for each pilotage area endorsed on the PEC
- Letter from the vessel operator confirming that the applicant has completed a programme of familiarisation as a PEC holder for that vessel (evidence of completion may be requested)
Renewal of existing PEC
- Letter from harbourmaster for each pilotage area endorsed on the PEC confirming that the currency requirements of rule 90.66 have been met for that area. This must include verification that the recent experience requirements for all the vessels endorsed on the PEC have been met. (refer rule 90.69(b))
- Original pilotage exemption certificate(s) or letter(s) issued under section 40AA of the Maritime Transport Act 1994
Other required formsFit and proper person form [PDF: 361kB, 10 pages] NZ Police vetting service request and consent form [NZ Police website]
There are several options available for making payments to Maritime New Zealand. Find out what option is best for you.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).