Replacement certificates and endorsements

Read about how to replace your original certificate of competency, certificate of proficiency or endorsement if it has been lost.

To be able to work on vessels using the privileges of your certificate of competency, certificate of proficiency or endorsement, you must have your original certificate with you or have it readily available on board. If the original has been lost or destroyed, Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) can issue a replacement certificate or endorsement.


How to apply

You can apply for a replacement certificate or endorsement by sending the following documents to Seafarer Certification at MNZ:

Seafarer certificate application form [PDF: 166kB, 11 pages]


Payment required

You will be invoiced once we have checked your application for completeness and formally received your application. A reference number and instructions explaining how to pay will be sent with the invoice.

The fee for each replacement certificate includes goods and services tax (GST).

Certification fees and charges

How to pay


Further information

Ancillary certificates of proficiency

If you have lost an ancillary certificate of proficiency (such as advanced fire fighting), you need to contact the training provider that issued the certificate. These certificates cannot be replaced by MNZ.


Who can authorise a statutory declaration?

A statutory declaration can be witnessed by a lawyer, notary public, justice of the peace or court official. (A notary public is a public servant appointed by the government to witness the signing of important documents and administer oaths.) These officials are usually listed in your local phone directory.

A list of people who can witness statutory declarations in New Zealand can be found on the legislation page of the Parliamentary Counsel Office. Some police officers may also witness statutory declarations, but you should check first whether your local station has someone available to do this.

Refer to the Yellow Pages for current listings of justices of the peacenotaries public and lawyers.