How to register in Part B of the Register

Part B registration is mainly for recreational vessels that need nationality for overseas voyaging. Read about the required form, fee and application process to register your ship under Part B.

To register, you need to do these things:

  1. Complete the Application for Part B Registration (form SR3)
  2. If the ship has been registered in another country, obtain evidence (for example, a deletion certificate) from the foreign registry that the registration has been closed.
  3. Send your completed application form and the evidence of closure of any previous registration (if applicable) to Maritime New Zealand by email, courier or post.
Application for registration of ship (or renewal of registration) in Part B of register - SR03 [PDF: 251kB, 7 pages]

When we receive the documents we will check your application for completeness and formally receive your application. An invoice will be sent with a reference number and instructions explaining how to pay. Once payment is received we will register your ship and send you a certificate of registration by courier.

You can send your application via email, courier or post:


Registrar of Ships
Operator Certification
Maritime New Zealand
1 Grey Street
Wellington 6011
New Zealand

Registrar of Ships
Operator Certification
Maritime New Zealand
PO Box 25620
Wellington 6140
New Zealand


Contact us

If you have any questions about ship registration, contact us.

+64 4 473 0111