Marine Engineer Class 2 endorsed chief engineer (MEC 2 ECE)
Your MEC 2 ECE certificate is valid for five years.
With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of:
- chief engineer on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of less than 3000kW in any operating area
- second engineer on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of any power in any operating area, if you already hold a MEC 2 certificate or equivalent.
From MEC 2 ECE, with additional sea service, training and assessment you can progress to MEC 1. Refer to the guideline for MEC 1 for the detailed certificate requirements.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to meet all of these requirements to get your MEC 2 ECE certificate.
- hold a current Maine Engineer Class 3 certificate (or higher) or equivalent
- prove that you meet the minimum sea service requirements
- complete and pass the approved qualification for MEC 2 ECE
- have the required STCW ancillary certificates
- pass Maritime NZ’s final exam
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight.
You must also have English conversation, reading and writing skills appropriate to the responsibilities and functions for the level of your certificate, so that you can satisfactorily complete training, pass examinations and discharge your duties.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Marine Engineer Class 2 endorsed chief engineer[PDF: 256Kb, 22 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).