Integrated Rating (IR)
With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of:
- deck crew member on ships of any gross tonnage in any operating area
- crew member in a manned engine room or periodically unmanned engine room on passenger or non-passenger ships of any propulsion power in any operating area.
From IR, you can progress to Watchkeeper Deck and Marine Engineer Class 3 (MEC 3).
Before you spend time doing sea service we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to meet all of these requirements to get your Integrated Rating certificate.
- prove you have met the requirements for AB Deck and AB Engine certificates of proficiency
- have the required ancillary certificates
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight.
You must also have English conversation, reading and writing skills appropriate to the responsibilities and functions for the level of your certificate, so that you can satisfactorily complete training, pass examinations and discharge your duties.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Integrated Rating (IR)[PDF: 242Kb, 19 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).