Maritime NZ consultation on Maritime Levy and fees
Revised Maritime Levy rates and fees take effect from 1 July 2019.
The Maritime Levy funds the maritime regulatory system and fees are charged for specific services provided to operators and seafarers. The changes ensure that appropriate funding is in place for the next six years.
Click on the links on the right-hand toolbar to read more about what we consulted on and the feedback received from the sector.
Estimate your levy
Use our online tool
The following changes to the Maritime Levy and fees come into effect on 1 July 2019:
- a revised allocation methodology for the Maritime Levy
- a single reduced fee of $368 for seafarer certificates and endorsements
- not charging fees for routine audits and inspections but recovering the cost of these through the Maritime Levy
- a single hourly rate of $245 for all activities that are charged on actual time taken (and the basis for fixed fees)
- a reduction in most ship registration fees.
Fees and Levy changes
Changes to fees and the levy come into effect on 1 July. Click on the link below for more information on how these will affect you.
Changes for owners or operators of commercial vessels
Maritime Levy Allocation Recommendations – Castalia Report
Castalia’s review of Maritime New Zealand’s previous allocation method and proposal for new method.
Maritime Levy Allocation Recommendation
- Castalia Report[PDF: 431kB, 30 pages]
Amended Regulations 2019
Maritime Levies Amendment Regulations 2019[www.legislation.govt.nz]
Transport regulatory system: Funding principles September 2018
This paper outlines a set of principles to guide funding reviews and advice on the appropriate funding sources for regulatory activities carried out within the transport regulatory system.
Transport regulatory system:
Funding principles September 2018[PDF: 129kB, 10 pages]
Original consultation infographic
Summary and analysis of submissions document
[PDF: 51kB, 51 pages]
Read the Funding Review consultation document to make a submission
[PDF: 2.13MB, 77 pages]
Read the Funding Review Recommendations (redacted copy)
[PDF: 8.45MB, 46 pages]