Maritime Rules Part 42B
On this page:
What Part 42B applies to
This rule applies to:
- any New Zealand ship to which Parts 40A, 40C or 40D apply on which fire appliances are installed or intended to be installed and the Part requires that type of fire appliance to meet the requirements of Part 42B.
Overview of Part 42B
Part 42B covers the performance standards for fire appliances, including:
- fixed fire detection and alarm systems
- various types of fixed fire extinguishing systems
- fire pumps
- portable and non-portable fire extinguishers
- breathing apparatus
- fire crew outfits.
Materials incorporated by reference in Maritime Rules Part 42B
Safety Equipment – Fire Appliance Performance Standards
Change to standard “Australian Standard AS 1851:2005, Section 11 Gaseous fire extinguishing systems”.
This reference was made in the rule on 4 August 2008. The standard referred to has been replaced with the below standard, effective from 1 January 2015:
- Australian Standard AS 1851-2012, Routine service of fire protection systems and equipment, Section 7 Special Hazard Systems.
Getting copies of material incorporated by reference
Some materials can be accessed and viewed free online, other material is subject to copyright and can either be purchased from the original source or viewed as an electronic copy at Maritime New Zealand.