Maritime Rules Part 43
Current version of Part 43
This rule applies to:
- every New Zealand ship that is required by any rule in Part 40A, 40B, 40C, 40D, 40E or 40F of the maritime rules to carry radio communication equipment
- foreign passenger ships at a New Zealand port or offshore terminal
- foreign non-passenger ships of 300 gross tonnage or more at a New Zealand Port or offshore terminal.
Download Maritime Rules Part 43[PDF: 399kB, 23 pages]
Part 43 covers the survey and inspection provisions and the requirements for the installation, maintenance and testing of shipborne radio installations.
Part 43 also contains requirements for keeping a radio log, keeping a continuous radio watch, the qualifications required of radio operators and the performance standards for shipborne radio installations.
The three IMO guideline and guidance documents below are:
- Guidelines for shore-based maintenance of emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) (MSC.1/Circ.1039/Rev.1)
- Guidelines on annual resting of emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) (MSC.1/Circ.1040/Rev.2), and
- Guidance on the validity of radiocommunications equipment installed and used on ships (MSC.1/Circ.1460/Rev.3).
MSC.1-Circ.1039-Rev.1[PDF: 210kB, 7 pages] MSC.1-Circ.1040-Rev.2[PDF: 178kB, 4 pages] MSC.1-Circ.1460-Rev.3[PDF: 219kB, 1 page]