Lifejacket and PFD standards identified
Safe Seas Clean Seas Issue 41, September 2012
Under Maritime Rule Part 91, lifejackets must meet New Zealand Standard 5823:2005 – specification for buoyancy aids and marine safety harnesses and lines – or another national or international standard accepted by MNZ. These now include United States, Australian, European and ISO (International Organization for Standardization) standards.
Under Rule 91.2, the Director has discretion to determine which devices certified by a recognised authority to a national and international standard substantially comply with the New Zealand standard for buoyancy aids.
Advisory Circular Issue No. 91-2 September 2012 sets out the lifejackets and PFDs that comply or substantially comply with NZ Standard 5823 under the following categories:
- type 401 (open waters lifejackets)
- type 402 (inshore waters PFDs)
- type 403 (buoyancy vests)
- type 405 (buoyancy garments)
- type 406 (specialist PFD – kayaking, white-water rafting, and jet and power boat racing)
- and type 408 (specialist PFD – white-water rafting, and jet and power boat racing).