On this page:
Tiritiri Matangi lighthouse is situated on Tiritiri Island in the Hauraki Gulf. It marks the approach to Auckland Harbour some 28 kilometres to the south.
Tiritiri Matangi is the oldest lighthouse still in operation in New Zealand. It was also the first lighthouse to be built by the Government.
In 2019, the lighthouse was fitted with a 24 volt Flashing LED beacon, replacing the rotating beacon.
|Location:||latitude 36°36' south, longitude 174°54' east|
|Elevation:||91 metres above sea level|
|Construction:||cast iron tower|
|Tower height:||21 metres|
|Light configuration:||24 volt flashing LED beacon|
|Light flash character:||white light flashing once every 15 seconds|
|Power source:||batteries charged by solar panels|
|Range:||18 nautical miles (33 kilometres)|
|Date light first lit:||1865|
Getting to Tiritiri Matangi
Tiritiri Matangi lighthouse is located on Tiritiri Matangi Island and is accessible to the public.
There is no public access to enter the lighthouse
Tiritiri Matangi island is a wildlife sanctuary administered by the Department of Conservation and is a popular day trip from Auckland.