Castle Point lighthouse is situated on the Wairarapa Coast, about 70 kilometres east of Masterton. Close to the Castle Point Township, it was known as the “holiday light”.
The Castle Point light was one of the last manned lights to be established in New Zealand.
|Location:||latitude 40°54’ south, longitude 176°14’ east|
|Elevation:||52 metres above sea level|
|Construction:||cast iron tower|
|Tower height:||23 metres|
|Light configuration:||2nd order Fresnel lens, illuminated by a 1000 watt incandescent bulb|
|Light flash character:||white light flashing 3 times every 30 seconds|
|Power source:||mains electricity|
|Range:||19 nautical miles (35 kilometres)|
|Date light first lit:||1913|
There is no public access to enter the lighthouse
Castle Point is a popular daytrip from Wellington.
Find this on the map:
You can download a three page photo gallery of Castle Point lighthouse dating back as far as 1912 to some more recent shots. The gallery depicts construction and operations of the lighthouse.Photo gallery [PDF: 9.84MB, 3 pages]
Built upon a prominent cliff, Captain Cook observed that Castle Point looked like an “old medieval stronghold”.
The cast iron tower was manufactured at Luke’s foundry in Wellington.
Castle Point lighthouse centenary
Epoxy urethane system applied
Original lighthouse coating removed & epoxy urethane system applied.
Lighthouse fully automated
Lighthouse fully automated & lighthouse keeper withdrawn.
Slew ring installed
Optic roller bearing replaced with slew ring.
Lighthouse keepers reduced
Number of Lighthouse Keepers reduced from two to one.
Lighthouse connected to mains
Lighthouse connected to mains supplied electricity.
Electric turning motor lamp installed
Electric turning motors & lamp installed – 230V from diesel generator.
Foundation bolts tightened
Tower shakes in storm, foundation bolts tightened.
Roller bearing installed
Optic mercury bearing / float replaced with roller bearing.
Earthquakes cause optic bearing / float to spill mercury.
Lantern room cleaning path install
Lantern room cleaning path install (missing from original tower).
Lighthouse keepers reduced
Number of Lighthouse Keepers reduced from three to two.
Principal Duncan fell to his death from a ladder while fixing telephone line.
Signal station with telegraph connected.
Light first lit
Light operational (total cost £9,703).
Incandescent apparatus supplied by Chance Bros. (Birmingham).
Optic turning apparatus supplied
Optic turning apparatus supplied by James Milne and Son (Edinburgh).
Optic supplied by Barbier, Bernard and Turenne (Paris).
Tower cast supplied
Tower cast at Lukes & Co Wellington (cost of tower – £1,375).