Maritime Rules Part 43
Current version of Part 43
This rule applies to:
- every New Zealand ship that is required by any rule in Part 40A, 40B, 40C, 40D, 40E or 40F of the maritime rules to carry radio communication equipment
- foreign passenger ships at a New Zealand port or offshore terminal
- foreign non-passenger ships of 300 gross tonnage or more at a New Zealand Port or offshore terminal.
Part 43 covers the survey and inspection provisions and the requirements for the installation, maintenance and testing of shipborne radio installations.
Part 43 also contains requirements for keeping a radio log, keeping a continuous radio watch, the qualifications required of radio operators and the performance standards for shipborne radio installations.
The three IMO guideline and guidance documents below are:
- Guidelines for shore-based maintenance of emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) (MSC.1/Circ.1039/Rev.1)
- Guidelines on annual resting of emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) (MSC.1/Circ.1040/Rev.2), and
- Guidance on the validity of radiocommunications equipment installed and used on ships (MSC.1/Circ.1460/Rev.3).